Meeting room: Avicenna
Rapporteur: Mehtap Dokumaci, TPA Member Industrial Pharmacist, Turkey
Zuzana Kusynova, FIP Lead for Policy, Practice and Compliance, The Netherlands and Nihan Bozkurt, Turkish Medicines and Medical Devices Agency, Turkey
Target audience: Community pharmacy, Hospital pharmacy, Industrial pharmacy, Social and Administrative Pharmacy, Policy and regulation, Health and Medicines information
While the effectiveness of vaccinations is well documented, barriers to immunisation exist and have a significant impact on vaccination rates and the incidence and prevalence of vaccine-preventable diseases. Pharmacists play an essential public health role in overcoming these barriers through education, providing evidence-based information and advice to overcome misbeliefs and misconceptions regarding vaccinations, and participating in national and global routine immunisation strategies and practices and/or delivering pharmacy-based vaccinations. This session will showcase different county experiences in relation to implementing pharmacy
- 11:00 – 11:05 Introduction by chairs
- 11:05 – 11:20 A new start: Advocating for vaccination and the role of pharmacists
Emine Kocberber, Research Assistant, Istanbul University, Faculty of Pharmacy, Turkey
- 11:20-11:35 Starting from scratch: A situational analysis of the vaccination landscape
Lieven Zwaenepoel, Vice President, Association of Pharmacists Belgium, Belgium
- 11:35-11:50 Achieving and demonstrating public support for pharmacy-based vaccination
Kathy Maher, Community Pharmacist, Co Louth and Past President of the Irish Pharmacy Union, Ireland
- 11:50 – 12:05 The domino effect: Achieving stakeholder support through pilot implementation and evidence
Alain Delgutte, Former President Council of Community Pharmacies Owners, French Chamber of Pharmacists, France
- 12:05 – 12:30 Moderated discussion with speakers and audience
At the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Explore key principles of conducting a successful public campaign to support vaccination by pharmacists and drive advocacy.
- Develop a situation analysis at national level to build the case for vaccination by pharmacies/pharmacists.
- Learn about the production of evidence at local level or pilot studies to advocate for implementing vaccination by pharmacies/pharmacists.